Thursday, May 15, 2008

New Ghetto Time - Same Ghetto Sound



Semesterly speaking, the summertime is upon us, my darlings. Awww Yeah! It's time for short shorts, trips to Orange Beach and Tims Ford, fishin' the Little Harpeth, back sweat, Sounds games at Greer Staduim, sun-tanned honeys, and bumpin' some early Beach Boys outta the truck. It's also time for a very slight move.

It seems the Ghetto's been moved up an hour earlier in your sunny day. You can now get hip with us each and every Thursday afternoon from 1:00 to 3:00 - Central Standard Time, of course -  at 91.1 on the FM dial or at wrvu.org. Hey, guess this means I can now beat rush hour down 65 South!

To kick off this summer semester of hot and humid local jams, I'm stoked to welcome Mr. Ricky Young into the studio. Homeboy's got a brand new record coming out called Learn to Steal (quite the GhettoFabuous title, I must say... word.) and a big ole' party on Saturday at Exit-In to welcome its existence into this world. He'll bring his guitar to serenade us and his quick wit to woo us. Fathers, lock up your daughters... Or maybe your effeminate son (hey whatever, it's not my business). But definitely keep an eye on your little wifey. Ricky's appeal knows no age bounds. Indie Ghetto and its lawyers claim no responsibility for any resulting litigation.

Outside of kickin' it with Brother Young, I'll be keeping it high and tight with plenty of local and regional goodness to keep your afternoon bumpin' and/or grindin'. I'm feeling some Wax Fang, Mean Tambourines, Coral Castles, Caitlin Rose, Superdrag, Parachute Musical, AutoVaughn, Giant Tiger, Dexateens (Tuscaloosa represent!), Selmanaires, and a few unreleased gems from Silver Jews, Tommy & the Whale, The Features, and Ghostfinger.

But I'll need some requests to keep your ears abuzz for 120 minutes. Holler at yer boy: 615.421.7625 or 615.322.7625 or hammer out an email to indieghetto@gmail.com. And, no... I don't mind if you call in and request your own band. Just know that I can totally spot that kinda thing from miles away. Now I won't call you out on it,  'cause I'm cool like that. Lord knows I've been guilty of such things in the past. 

Tune in, my little nieces and nephews so we can get summer started a bit early!


No comments: