Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Velcro Stars - Back in the Saddle Again


Well, well, well... looks like Murfreesboro's favorite rock n' roll revolving door has begun recording its follow-up to 2006's Hiroshima's Revenge. They're hunkerin' down on the square with good ole' Alex Norfleet at Grand Palace, so I'm assuming they're recording to analog tape. Ah, so cute. Maybe they'll release it on wax cylinder, too.

What follows is from their MySpace blog. I can only assume that in comes from the hand of guitarist/kinda-sorta co-frontman Shane Spresser (or rather, the one that doesn't look like he's fronting a Weezer tribute band). Only a Maury county native would make so many references to someone's testicle-poppin' short shorts.

We entered the studio this weekend to record our follow up to last years enormous hit record Hiroshima's Revenge. We're tracking the record at Grand Palace with a bear of a man named Alex Norfleet. He has a beard.

Here's a synopsis::

Day 1: Everyone was late, except for Keith. Then he had to come get me, so he was late too. We went and got a bottle of Buffalo Trace. I had never even heard of it. Alex The Bear loves it. Then we got some PBR. I drank a lot of that.

Then we got drum sounds. I told Aaron that Alex wanted him to get new drum heads and Aaron said "No way. I love the way my drums sound." Alex concured.

Then Johnny Blackout got some low end kickin'. That took a minute, because we told him to try this Rickenbacker bass and play with his fingers. Guess what? We were wrong. Johnny finally said "I'm using my own bass and playing with a pick." Guess what? He was right. We wasted a bunch of time doing that, when he could of just been playing his bass the whole time. Live and learn.

That was about it for that night. We were tired and it was hot. Alex's ball showing shorts couldn't even keep him cool.

Day 2: Everyone was on time. Aaron had even gotten up and watched his lady friend run in that crazy ass marathon at like 7 in the morning. He said some poor guys nipples were bleeding, cause they were chafed from running. I told him that wasn't cool.

We got started tracking about 7pm. It was considerably cooler in there. Alex was still wearing his ball showing shorts though. We went through that bitch with pure ferocity. We tracked drums and bass live to 10 songs that night. We even had time to stop and eat some pizza. Keith wasn't happy about the pizza break though. He even said " Do we have time to stop and eat pizza?!?!". Hell yeah we did, and it was delicious. I even ordered a thin crust for Keith, cause I know he likes it, and he wouldn't even eat it. That kinda hurt my feelings. I got over it though.

At one point Alex thought our building was on fire, and came storming in the big room mid-take like a crazed bear. Turns out it wasn't, but something was.

Day 3: The coolest day by far. Don't worry though, Alex was still wearing his ball showing shorts.With drums and bass finished we moved on to acoustic guitar. Nothing like the studio to make you realize how not good you are at something. It took a while, but eventually we got it.

Then we moved on to organ. Rebekah was in some kind of Kobe Bryant type zone. She couldn't miss. She played pretty much every song in one take. The only time she didn't was because I went in the room to tell her to try something different on this one part. She wasn't having it though. She gave me this "no you din't" look and basically told me to to go "blank myself in my blankety blank blank". She apologized later, but I wasn"t mad about it.

We're going back into the studio over the next few days. Hopefully, we will get most of these songs done. The plan is to go in and do 10 more in a month or so. If that's the case, I think I'm going to go buy me some ball showing shorts.
Good lookin' out, gang. Godspeed and get us a copy once it's done.

No comments: